analytics code

6.19.2011

Adair County

County seat - Stilwell  / County population per 2000 Census - 21,038

Did you miss us?  As I have said numerous time this project is always a work in progress.  I've had this photo processed for awhile but just haven't gotten around to publishing it.  I would like to note that this is the first 77counties photo to actually feature a human in it.  Your's truly is literally riding a fence in Adair County.  I'm not sure who built this fence gate but  I can't help but think they have a sense of humor.  I would also like to think that by building a fence like this, they don't mind wandering travelers like myself stopping to jump on for a photo op.  If they do mind, then I apologize in advance.  At the same time I want to say thanks for giving us some laughs this wonderful afternoon.

Roadside oddities are one of my favorite things in life.  I'm not sure why I enjoy them so much.  Maybe it's growing up around route 66 and the roadside Americana that is much a part of it.  Regardless, anytime I see something like this I am fascinated and have to take a closer look.  So you can imagine my joy when we left Stilwell and headed towards Tahlequah only to find this gem along the way.  I knew as soon as I flew past it that I had to do a U-turn because that was indeed "the photo" for Adair County.

The multitude of kids activities have kept us from doing a lot of road trips lately.  However we will try to get back on the road and posting more counties for your enjoyment soon.  We have a long way to go, but unlike "the Bandit" we don't have a short time to get there.  So we hope you will continue to check in on us from time to time as we post more of the 77 counties.

25 comments:

Walk said...

Love the picture, the builder of that gate had to be smiling the whole time he constructed it.

Just wanted to say I enjoy your blog, Oklahoma is an interesting state when we get off the interstates and really see the beauty and uniqueness of it.

beatnik said...

Thanks for the kind words. One of the goals of this site is to encourage people to explore more of the state.

Rachel said...

Hi, sorry this isn't relevant to the post but I just came across your blog and it looks great. Your photos are really beautiful. My husband has recently started to get into photography.

My husband and I have a travel blog and want to meet other travel bloggers so would like to exchange links with you if possible. Thanks.

Rachna said...

Hi,

Really great Post! I've enjoyed reading through your blog because of the great style and energy. I have a blog on travel theme. It contains hundreds of great stories from travelers who love to share their journey with the world. If you're interested, we would love to have you on as a guest blogger. Please send me an e-mail and I can give you more information. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Rachna

Flashpacking said...

Love the travel photography and images, the posts are amazing. What camera did you use and is it very expensive. What camera would you recommend to use that can be easily transported on a round the world trip, cheers.

Orlando airport transport said...

Wow, that is great kind of cycle it would be adventurous to try that big one. :P

Nomadic Samuel said...

What an incredible photo! With a person on it you really get a true sense of perspective here.

Terence said...

Very interesting post.

The Guy said...

Wow, what a fabulous picture. I'll have to track down Stilwell to find it!

Michael said...

Live to Roam is currently looking for quality blogs and websites to represent themselves alongside some of the most unique places on earth. Based on the quality of the content on your blog, we would like to offer you a place on one of our maps.

Please visit www.livetoroam.com for more information.

Anonymous said...

I just now found your blog, but I see it hasn't been updated in over a year. Would love to see more of your photography. Have you started another blog?

John said...

Great post I really liked the pictures.

World Landforms said...

Wow! Nice photo! Love that bike!

Brandon Elijah Scott said...

Interesting, cool photo.

mezzo said...

wow, this bike it really looks amazing

Steve Tickolo said...

Really amazing pictures. Is it possible for you to post some recent pictures? I am waiting for your next post.

Ben said...

We are still around just extremely busy. Between my 2 kids competitive soccer and Tae Kwon Do activities free weekends are tough to come by. We will eventually finish this but it will take some time.

pulau tidung said...

Waow Love the picture, the builder of that gate had to be smiling the whole time he constructed it.

green said...

Nice photo; not yet like Armstrong, but also a great cyclist!

Tom said...

your photos so beautiful.

vietnam tours

Lauren J said...

I really love this idea and I'm sad you haven't posted in quite some time! I'd love to see some more photos :-)

I just completed a US road trip (though no Oklahoma!) and one of my favourite parts were the roadside oddities too :-)

John said...

Like many others have said before me i'd love to see some more photos if you're still doing this project!

Adam Burton said...

Love the photo as well. Is that bicycle really working? I mean can you get it running on the road.

Ben said...

No it doesn't work. Just an art piece.

Jeanette Todd said...

I'm one those people who were amazed at the size of that bicycle. Was kind hoping it is running on the road nevertheless its a piece of art as is. Thanks for sharing it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...